[Tlhingan-hol] News from Maltz: Chemistry

Christopher Kidder-Mostrom cokidder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 04:13:01 PDT 2015

As my wife is a chemist, I perused the list to see if she could as yet
explain her daily tasks or even the compounds with which she deals in
tlhIngan Hol.  At this point, she cannot.  However, I suppose that allows
me a list of terms to float Marc's way next qep'a'.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:42 AM, Lieven <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 29.10.2015 um 03:59 schrieb SuStel:
>
> > Get ready for another armpit.
>
> rejmorgh yIDaQo'.
>
> On 10/28/2015 9:42 PM, Robyn Stewart wrote:
>>
>>> jIH, vaj chaq jIngor, 'ach bIH vIngu'laH 'ej Delchu' Quvar.  majQa'.
>>>

> bIyajchu', 'ach loQ bIQagh: hydrogen wIghajtaH, bIQSIp 'oH. latlh SIp
> tu'lu' je, 'oH ghovta' latlh ghItlhwI': Helium 'oH julSIp'e'.
>
> Qov was mostly right, except for hydrogen, which we already know as
> bIQSIp. julSIp is Helium. If anyone objects from a scientists view, we just
> have to accept that this is the way Maltz names it.
>
> I didn't get much more information from Maltz, here's page 13 of this
> year's qepHom-book:
>
> -------------
> Maltz is not a chemist, and he said he's a bit overwhelmed by the periodic
> table. But I'll try to coax a few more elements out of him.
>
> ’otlh poH Planck time
> ’otlhQeD quantum physics
> ’otlhtej quantum physicist
> julSIp helium
> ghav carbon
> no’negh sulfur
> ’uSqan iron (element)
> Sorpuq copper
> SIrlIy silver
> qol’om gold
> ngIDvoS lead (element)
> HeySel atom
> ’o’rIS molecule
> tamler element (in chemistry)
>
> yugh include, consist of, be composed of (but also the slang term ’uch)

> The following example was created by me, and Okrand said it's correct to
> do it this way:
> cha’ bIQSIp HeySelmey, wa’ yInSIp HeySel je yugh bIQ ’o’rIS.
> the water molecule consists of two hydrogen atoms and one oygen atom
>

> --
> Lieven L. Litaer
> aka Quvar valer 'utlh
> Grammarian of the KLI
> http://www.facebook.com/Klingonteacher
> http://www.klingonwiki.net

*Christopher Kidder-Mostrom*

*Current Projects: *

   - *Drama Critic:* reviewing for *Newcity Magazine
   <http://www.newcitystage.com> *and *Theatre By Numbers*
   <http://www.theatre1234.com>
   - *Director:** Not Now, Darling* at BrightSide Theatre
   <http://brightsidetheatre.com/>, February 19 - March 6, 2016
- *Board Member:* Illinois Theatre Association - Professional Division Rep

<http://www.christopherokidder.com>