[Tlhingan-hol] qaghwI' between consonants

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Oct 24 08:28:44 PDT 2015

Lieven is quite right: if you want your name to conform to tlhIngan Hol pronunciation, it must follow the same rules as any other word.

I said what I said because there is a long and glorious tradition of Klingon names that do not confirm, and I want no one to be shamed for having one. Some of us explain the diversity of names by saying that Klingons tradition draw names from a wider phonetic pool than their own language. Many people have brought Klingon names with them from other branches of fandom, or predating TKD. e.g. Tr'kal and Krankor. Some develop tlhIngan Hol versions of their names, just as we know we can call Worf, wo'rIv.

The last thing I want to happen is for someone keen and new to announce a name to the list and to be told that his or her very name is wrong. I welcome K'zk'rt and Gak'xaf to our number, but eventually I sm going to ask them how to pronounce their names.

- Qov