[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: mongDech

ghunchu'wI' qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sat Oct 10 13:03:39 PDT 2015

On Oct 10, 2015, at 11:13 AM, Tori Lucier Miller <thefuturequeenofnebraska at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone want to help the new girl out and give me some pronunciation help? :)

The way we write Klingon is a completely phonetic representation of the sounds. As long as you recognize that the character combinations {ch}, {gh}, {ng}, and {tlh} are each considered single letters, every letter always has basically the same sound whenever it appears.

{mongDech} is six letters:
{m} sounds as you would expect, like in milk or home.
{o} is the "long o" of oat or smoke or throw.
{ng} is like the end of song or ring, but be careful not to add a hard "g" sound after it.
{D} is probably familiar to native English speakers as the stereotypical East Indian D as in New Delhi. It's a "retroflex" sound, meaning the tongue touches the roof of the mouth much farther back than the ridge behind the teeth.
{e} is a typical "short e" as in echo or pet.
{ch} is like chew or reach.

The proper pronunciation of Klingon is described at the beginning of Zthe Klingon Dictionary. Several web pages give a good overview as well, includin http://www.kli.org/about-klingon/sounds-of-klingon/

-- ghunchu'wI'