[Tlhingan-hol] Objects, direct and indirect

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 04:12:16 PST 2015

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
> In case you don’t know the history of {lo’laH}, Okrand mistakenly used it
> adjectivally when {-laH} is not a suffix one can use on a verb adjectivally.
> It was a mistake. But it was canon. So Okrand had to declare that {lo’laH}
> is a different verb than {lo’}. So, while {pab vIlo’laH} (I can use grammar)
> is an example of the root verb {lo’} with {laH} added, {pIj lo’laH nuH} (A
> weapon is often valuable) is an example of a different verb, yielding such
> lovely sentences as {nuH lo’laH lo’laH.} “He can use a valuable weapon.”

Where and when did he make this mistake? What is the canon sentence in
which {lo'laH} appears with the meaning "be valuable"?

I had considered that {lo'laH} might have been a retrofit for an
error, but I don't recall ever having seen any firm evidence that this
is true.

Also, mistakenly using {lo'laH} as an adjective is a weird mistake to
make (which isn't to say it couldn't have happened), since {lo'} means
"use", not "be used". {Doch lo'laH} where {lo'} + {-laH} is used
adjectivally wouldn't mean "useful thing, thing which can-be-used", it
would mean "thing which-can-use" (if it means anything at all).

I would've thought that it came about because an actor/actress swapped
two words, e.g., {Doch lo'laH} "he can use it" became {lo'laH Doch},
which had to be retroactively explained as "the thing is valuable".

In TKD itself, {vIlo'laHbe'} appears as an example for rovers, and is
glossed as "they are useless to me, I cannot use them". {lo'laH} and
{lo'laHbe'} appear as "be valuable" and "be worthless" in the word
lists. So, whatever the error was, it had been made by the time TKD
(1st edition) was published.

The Addendum to TKD gives {lo'laHghach} for "value" and
{lo'laHbe'ghach} for "worthlessness" in the section for type 9 verb
suffixes and the word lists.

Then {lo'laHbe'} was subsequently used in these canon sources:
{leghlaHchu'be'chugh mIn lo'laHbe' taj jej.} TKW
{lo'laHbe'; chetvI' chIm rur} KGT