[Tlhingan-hol] Objects, direct and indirect

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 24 14:03:59 PST 2015

On 11/24/2015 4:56 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> I’m in the process of being swayed by the “valents” argument, trying to
> sort out the details of it, but I’ll point out that applying these ideas
> to {ja’} might be a poor choice if it’s being used as a verb of speech
> for direct quotation purposes, since that’s a special case with unusual
> grammar.

The rules in this case would still apply, completely ignoring the
quotation. Each sentence individually has perfectly normal grammar;
they're just pushed up against each other.

The only question I have is whether one can specify a direct object and
a quotation at the same time. I don't see why not.

We know we can say {qaja'pu' jonta' neH} "I told you, engine only." The
prefix refers to an elided second-person indirect object. Can we also
say, for instance, {Duj Dotlh muja'pu' jonta' QIHlu'pu'} "He reported
the ship's status to me, 'The engines are damaged'"? I suspect so.

http://trimboli.name