[Tlhingan-hol] Objects, direct and indirect

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 24 06:50:58 PST 2015

On 11/24/2015 3:44 AM, De'vID wrote:
> lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
>
> André Müller:
>>> Well, do we know that it doesn't work with third persons?
>
> SuStel:
>> Okrand wrote in an MSN post:
>>
>>     When the indirect object (in this case, the hearer) is first or
>>     second person, the pronominal prefix which normally indicates first
>>     or second person object may be used.
>>
>>     [...]
>>
>>     if the verb is used with a pronominal prefix indicating a first- or
>>     second-person object, that first or second person is the indirect
>>     object.
>
> Okrand never actually stated that the prefix trick doesn't work for
> third person indirect objects in the interview, only that it does work
> for first and second person. The claim that it's "never" used with
> third person for all parties is stronger than what he actually stated.

I agree that it's an overstatement. However, I think the first quote I
provided above speaks to the general case. The specific case is only
made in parentheses, and appears to me only to apply within that scope.

If the general case is that the prefix trick works for first- or
second-person objects, then it would be odd to exclude the third person
if it could be used as well.

http://trimboli.name