[Tlhingan-hol] Objects, direct and indirect

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 22:32:51 PST 2015

De'vID:
>> It's not possible to use {wI-} with {-chuq}, at least if we take TKD
>> at its word.
>
> That takes TKD 4.2.1 not only at its word, but also in isolation and without
> additional and appropriate context. What about {-moH}? It's a tool
> specifically for increasing the count of actants by one, and for monovalent
> verbs, that means adding an object. Whatever you take {wIqawchuqmoH} to
> mean, I contend that it is absolutely grammatical. {-chuq} deletes the
> object of the basic bivalent verb {qaw}. {-moH} adds a new object to the
> newly-monovalent verb {qawchuq}. What's so problematic about that?

Aaaarrrrghhh. Of course, you're right. I knew that too.

I had re-read the TKD section on {-'egh} and {-chuq} in an attempt to
understand {quv HIja'chuqQo'} and in the process completely confused
myself. This is one of those funny instances where you have a skill
that you can apply without conscious effort, but when you try to do it
consciously everything screws up. :-p

Very clearly, when {-moH} is used with {-'egh} or {-chuq}, an object
is possible. We have lots of canon for this:
{yItaD'eghmoH}
{Qo'noS tuqmey muvchuqmoH qeylIS}

Because I was so focused on analysing {-chuq}, I interpreted
{qawchuqmoH} as {qawmoH} + {-chuq} "cause-to-remember each other,
remind each other" instead of {qawchuq} + {-moH} "cause to
remember-each-other".

Obviously, {qawchuqmoH} can be used like this:
{qeylIS luqara' je vIqawchuqmoH} "I caused Kahless and Lukara to
remember each other", "I reminded Kahless and Lukara of each other".

{Qu'maj wIqawchuqmoH} would mean something like "we remind our
mission(s) of each other".

That brings up another point about an unclear area of Klingon grammar,
and that's in which order do you apply the meaning of the suffixes?
Most of the time, it doesn't matter, but occasionally you get
something where the meaning changes depending on whether the suffix
applies (only) to the root verb, to everything before it. Is this
actually settled?