[Tlhingan-hol] Objects, direct and indirect

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:14:41 PST 2015

Thanks, SuStel. I didn't remember this quote. It really sounds like it's
only possible for 1st and 2nd person. The wording doesn't completely
exclude the possibility of doing the same with a 3rd person object, perhaps
because the example given had a 3rd person object (e.g. a simple noun) as
the direct object and thus the prefix trick would be "invisible" with a 3rd
person indirect object, but I agree that this makes my analysis about the
prefix trick a tad less plausible. It still feels right to me to say
{qabmey lunob.} for 'They gave him the books.' (but I wouldn't use it
myself).

Sometimes I wonder how to interprete Okrand's analyses: On the one hand,
he's the creator of the language and has all the power. If he says,
something is not possible in Klingon, that's what it is. On the other hand,
inside the "game", he is in a way a linguist who analyses the language in
just the same way a Terran linguist would do with a minority language from
the Caucasus, Northern America, or Southeast Asia. A reference grammar
*can* include over-generalisations and missinterpretations by the linguist
author. Sometimes there are cleverer analyses that explain things
differently.
That's a bit of a philosophical question. Maybe we shouldn't discuss it in
this thread.

- André