[Tlhingan-hol] Objects, direct and indirect

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 10:28:48 PST 2015

It might help me if you explain how stative verbs (“be verbs)” behave differently when {-moH} is added.

As I remember it, these were the words we have had the most experience with using {-moH}. They set the standard, and initially, when someone thought of using it with a verb that can take a direct object, there was some confusion, and controversy ever since.

Klingon grammar in most every other area is consistent. When I talk about messiness, I’m talking about inconsistency. I’m fine with exceptions, but exceptions to exceptions to exceptions just gets a little too weird for me.

Worf and the room have the same semantic and syntactic relationship with teaching (causing to learn) and heating (causing to be hot) respectively. They should have the same grammar applied to them. Okrand has given us no reason to expect otherwise.

No one has addressed what the difference is between Worf and the room, in relation to the two verbs, and why one gets {-vaD}, but the other doesn’t. For that matter, Okrand hasn’t given us a reason that Worf gets {-vaD} if there’s a direct object, and he doesn’t get it if there isn’t. His semantic or syntactic or grammatical role in learning has not changed between the two examples.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv