[Tlhingan-hol] {-moH}

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 09:19:57 PST 2015

It’s interesting that you’d mark my term “agent of causation” as a problem, and then replace it with “causer”, which is mysteriously less of a problem.

I get it.

You are saying that unlike any other verb suffix, {-moH} changes the action of the verb. Now, the verb is not doing the action of the root verb. It’s doing the causing of the action of what is now a different verb. So, {ghojmoH} does not actually mean “cause to learn”. {ghojmoH} now actually MEANS “teach”. So, any object of the verb “teach” is the valid object of {ghojmoH}.

It’s not that I don’t understand this. I just don’t like it. No other suffix acts like this, changing the nature of the objects of the root verb on which they are attached.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably