[Tlhingan-hol] HuS

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 08:40:48 PST 2015

Keep in mind that since Marc Okrand is quite aware that those who speak his language hang on his every example, there are some verbs that are somewhat vague about who is doing what simply because he knows that he doesn’t use the language very often, and he’s aware that he may use one of them differently in the future than he has used it in the past simply because he forgot how he had previously intended to use it. I’m suspecting that {ja’} may be this sort of verb, given that the examples of significant difference in choice of objects fall with striking consistency along a time line. Older examples consistently have a person as the direct object. Newer examples often include things being said as the direct object.

The conversion tools we have for any verb that has the issue this thread focuses on resolved are that we can use {vIH} and {vIHmoH}, or {Dub} and {Dub’egh} or {Dublu’}. Once we know limits on the meaning of the verb, we can use these tools to give the other meaning.

As a general rule, for myself, when I don’t know, I assume that the subject of the verb is the one doing the action of the verb, like {vIH} because that seems to be what Okrand does more often, though not always, and if I can’t tell what he’s doing, I go with what he does more often.

So, I go for {chung Duj} or {Duj chungmoH HoD}, {tlhe’ Duj}, {Duj tlhe’moH HoD}, {voQ jagh}, {jagh vIvoQmoH}, and {HuS joqwI’} and {joqwI’ vIHuSmoH}.

I’ll almost certainly be wrong some of the time, but then, that’s true no matter which way you choose to use these verbs. I’m just betting that more often, he uses these verbs so that the subject is the one closest to the nature of the action of the verb.

Besides, I’m so often wrong about other things, why be shy about being wrong about this? Better to err boldly than to be hesitant and squeamish and pay too much attention to the {ghIlob ghewmey}. There’s no question about whether or not my meaning will be understood.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably