[Tlhingan-hol] Objects, direct and indirect

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 20:43:35 PST 2015

I suspect you are completely right on this one, though I’ve argued against that point in the past.

Basically, what we have is something messier than anything else in Klingon grammar in terms of assigning a role for a noun in a sentence. We normally have an unmarked place for a subject (the agent of the action of the verb) following the verb, an unmarked place for a direct object (the recipient or target of the action of the verb) before the verb, and everything else is marked with a type 5 noun suffix.

So, with {-moH}, we apparently have two different nouns that can be unmarked before the verb.

Instead of an unmarked subject following the verb, we have an unmarked agent of cause. He’s not the one doing the action. He’s the one causing the action to be done.

The unmarked noun before the verb with {-moH} can apparently be either the subject (the agent of the action of the verb), or the direct object (the recipient or target of the action) of the verb. He who causes the action is in the place normally held by he who does the action, and either he who does the action or he who has the action done to him are now in the spot normally reserved for he who has the action done to him.

In a sentence constructed as {noun1 verb-moH noun2}, the only tool we have to determine what role noun1 has in the sentence is to recognize from the context of normal action of the verb what sort of noun normally is the subject and what sort of noun normally is the object.

It’s easier with {ghoj} because a person usually learns, and a language or some other topic is usually learned, but what if you have something like {SuvI’ qIpmoH ra’wI’}? Is the warrior being caused to hit, or is someone else being caused to hit him?

It’s an element similar to the famous indigenous language that can’t say, “The man bit the dog”, because it just gives you “man” and “dog” and “bite” in random order and you have to figure out from context who is biting whom. Since dogs are expected to bite men and not the other way around, there simply aren’t any grammatical tools to use in order to express the less common statement.

I’ve enjoyed having the Klingon language more versatile in its capacity to express ideas than this. Now, it’s muddier.

Before we decided that we could use {-‘e’} to disambiguate relative clauses, we had a similar problem with relative clauses. {loD leghbogh puq mev yaS}. Did the officer stop the child who saw the man, or did he stop the man who was seen by the child? Unless we optionally choose to mark one of the two nouns with {-‘e’}, we can’t tell, unless some other context suggests one choice over the other.

Now, verbs with {-moH} are like that.

wejpuH.

It just makes the language less fun for me, and if I’m not into this for the fun, why am I bothering to maintain a dictionary?

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably