[Tlhingan-hol] A moment of clarity regarding beginner's writing

qunnoQ HoD mihkoun at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 09:24:51 PST 2015

I just realized where lies one of the most basic difficulties a beginner
faces in writing,and luckily I found a way of rectifying this situation ;
So,I will share my thoughts in case this helps any other beginner such as I
(or should I say,such as me ?)

anyway..

numerous times,when I tried to write something I found myself not able to
figure out the way to express in Klingon what I wanted to say. It was
either that I didn't know the grammar,or that I couldn't find the word.

after going through the grammar in TKD,the first (not knowing the grammar)
more or less had been beginning to resolve. the problem still remained when
a word was missing. For example if I wanted to say <<it is indeed
impressive>> and didn't find the word for <<indeed>>. So I was trying to
find a synonym for the missing word.

..until suddenly I realized,that most of the times there is a prefix/suffix
that gets the job done. In the previous example the <<it is indeed
impressive>> could be written <<it is definitely/undoubtedly impressive>>.

but the problem remained,that even so,when I stuck somewhere it was
difficult to remember the right prefix/suffix at the right time. To
remember the prefix/suffix that would allow me to rephrase what I wanted to
say in the desired way,thus getting rid of the need to search for new
vocabulary.

So,I came to the conclusion that the most helpful thing to do,is create a
list with all the prefix/suffixes
writing next to each one of them its meaning,and a single canon sentence as
an example. This is something similar to how suffixes are listed in
boQwI',with the difference being that the suffixes aren't just categorized
as aspect suffixes,syntactic markers etc, but they are also explained. For
example {-lI'} = action proceeding towards a known goal.

I know that this may sound very "simplistic",but when you are a beginner
"stuck" at a sentence you just can't figure out how to rephrase or
write,then just seeing this suffix list explained,can help tremendously.
Just create the list,print it and put it on your desk ; the result will be
<<definitely/undoubtedly impressive>>..

qunnoQ HoD