[Tlhingan-hol] Objects, direct and indirect

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 20:21:14 PST 2015

I appreciate the analysis on what is clearly inconsistency in terms of objects.

I have a nasty suspicion that when dealing with the specific verb and suffix {ghojmoH} that the translator may have fallen to the English “teach” without considering that it really means “cause to learn.”

A person learns. Life and death do not learn. If I teach Klingon language, that does not imply that I cause the Klingon language to learn. If I teach Klingon language to Worf (God knows he needs teaching), then Worf may be the beneficiary, so {-vaD} does make sense, if you think of the English phrasing, word for word, but thinking of the Klingon typical grammar, it would be far better to say that I cause Worf to learn in order that he can speak Klingon.

So, without having to bend around different kinds of objects, we should be able to agree that a valid and uncontroversial way to say this would be:

tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaHmeH, wo’rIv vIghojmoH.

Or move the comma:

tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaHmeH wo’rIv, vIghojmoH.

Unfortunately, the author of paq’batlh didn’t ask me how to say this in Klingon…

[Yes, I am joking.]

So, we’re left with a mess that requires uncommon analysis. Thank you for providing that uncommon analysis. It explains what he did at least as well as anything else.

Forgive me if I continue to express things in ways that better fit more conventional grammatical constructions. I’m old. Maybe I just keep speaking the tongue of the previous emperor. It’s not intended to be an insult. I’m just not as verbally nimble as I once was.

Also, I tend to agree about the arbitrary nature of a verb’s relationship with objects. It falls back to the common example I use about how the Moon moves around Earth, when it orbits Earth. It’s the same motion, but one verb uses a prepositional connection between the subject and the preposition’s object, while the other directly connects the subject to the direct object.

There’s nothing innate in that. It’s all arbitrary. I think that a verb’s relationship with its objects are among the most arbitrary of elements in language. A direct object is really almost like a clipped form of an indirect object or a prepositional object, chosen for a specific verb. Another verb may have a different link to the same object.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably