[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: multiple locatives

John R. Harness cartweel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 19:12:52 PST 2015

(Still learning to fix the subject lines! Maybe I'll change my settings.
Fek'lhr be damned!)

Hi! Thanks for using the KLBC tag!

Yes, you can specify both places with {-vo'} and {-Daq}. There's no
grammatical or stylistic reason to not specify, if you want.

Now, if you are trying to translate "from room to room," then you do need
to be careful that you're not shoehorning the English phrase. But, as you
go on to show, there are a variety of ways that you could express the idea
-- what you choose to use comes down to style. You can decide whether to
use a more specific verb (as you do with {chegh}) or you could restate as
multiple phrases, as you also show.

For what it's worth, your translations of your examples leave me wondering
if you are speaking of a spirit moving from one room into another, or of a
spirit who is only going into and out of one room. Perhaps you could make
this less ambiguous by choosing to use {-vam} and {-vetlh}, if it is
relevant.

'arHa
Beginner's Grammarian