[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC : Sentences as objects

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Nov 18 11:11:06 PST 2015

On 11/18/2015 2:01 PM, Will Martin wrote:
> He said that the direct object of {ja’} was the person or persons
> being addressed, hence {ja’chuq} being translated as “discuss”
> because it involves people telling each other something.

If he ever said this, it never entered the canon. Was this something he
said to you personally, or was it part of an interview or a published
source? I remember in your HolQeD interview with him on the topic YOU
made this claim to HIM, but he didn't say anything about it.

==
WM: Are there any other verbs of speech that you would care to
     comment on?

MO: Are there any other verbs of speech?

WM: And a typical direct object of {ja'} would be the person addressed
and a typical object of the verb {jatlh} would be the thing you say.

MO: The speech event.

WM: I like that term.

MO: Including a direct quote. I'm telling a story. He "blah, blah, blah"
{jatlh}.

http://trimboli.name