[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC : Sentences as objects

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:00:05 PST 2015

Keep in mind that for an English speaker, changing the meaning of a prefix like {vI-} when applied with the suffix {-lu’} is complex, for a Klingon speaker, it’s not complicated at all. It’s just the way the language works.

When I talk about complexity, I’m not talking about the amount of work an English speaker has to go through to speak Klingon. I’m talking about the tendency to try to pile a lot of meaning into one sentence. Klingon speakers are much more likely to break up an English sentence with a complex set of relationships among its parts and express the same ideas with a series of separate, smaller, simpler sentences.

That really is the only kind of complexity I’m suggesting that one attempt to avoid. Individual Klingon sentences that contain too many words can become strikingly difficult to parse, and quite often breaking it down into smaller, simpler sentences results in much better communication, which is what we are after here.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv