[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhutlh

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Wed Nov 18 09:42:56 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote

> I believe you have used {-vo'} correctly. The sense of motion need not be
> literal. We have an example sentence, {pa'vo' pagh leghlu'} "the room has
> no view" (literally, "from the room, one sees nothing) from Conversational
> Klingon, which does the same thing.

Based on what TKD says about {-vo'} (This suffix is similar to -Daq but is
used only when action is in a direction away from the noun suffixed with
-vo') I don't think it works for "from a cup" as the action is not in a
direction away from the noun. In {pa'vo' pagh leghlu'} the unknown looker
is looking in a direction away from the room, but in {HIvje'vo' jItlhutlh}
the drinker isn't drinking in a direction away from the cup.

qurgh