[Tlhingan-hol] New Klingon Words tool

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Nov 18 09:13:15 PST 2015

I'm not sure how useful people on this list will find this tool, but I
figured I'd mention it anyway.

I find myself going back to the New Words list on the KLI's site over
and over, so I decided to write a tool that presents the list to me
without having to go to the site.

It's written in PowerShell, and will run on any Windows 8 or later
computer, or Windows 7 if you install Windows Management Framework 3.0
or later.

It's got a README.txt file in it; setup instructions are there. Short
version: extract everything to a folder, then run install.cmd. For
anyone who knows about PowerShell modules: just copy the Klingon folder
to your PowerShell Modules folder.

It's a PowerShell module, so I mostly use it in the PowerShell console
(a command-line environment). I've also created a GUI version for anyone
who prefers that.

Available commands:

Get-KlingonWord
     Return a list of words, their meanings, parts of speech, and
sources. You can filter by any of these fields.

Show-KlingonWord
     Same as Get-KlingonWord, except the list is presented in a GUI. Has
a built-in alias, kword.

Sort-KlingonWord
     Given the results from Get-KlingonWord or Show-KlingonWord, or a
comma-separated list of strings, this sorts the list in Klingon
transcription alphabetical order. This command allows piped input.

Update-KlingonWord
     Updates the word list by downloading whatever is current at the
KLI. This must be run at least once before using the module; the setup
program runs this for you.

For help on each command, type "help <command>" in PowerShell.

You can easily filter in the GUI just by typing in the filter field, or
you can set up more complicated pattern-matching.

Careful! PowerShell interprets the ' character as a string delimiter, so
if you type words with glottal stops you'll cause errors. Enclose the
words in double quotation marks to avoid this, or escape the ' with a
backtick, `.

I won't be incorporating words not on the New Words list. This module
doesn't contain any data by itself; it just downloads what's at the KLI.

You can download this module here: http://trimboli.name/Klingon.zip
Your web browser may complain that it's a suspicious file.

Got questions? Let me know. PowerShell lets you do a whole lot with
these commands that I haven't even touched on.

http://trimboli.name