[Tlhingan-hol] nuqDaq ghaH 'arHa'e' ('ej "Welcome Back")

John R. Harness cartweel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 11:50:11 PST 2015

Haha yes!

Concerning phrases like "Welcome back," it is first of all useful to
remember that Klingons generally do without most of the social niceties
that many Terrans expect. Think of how {nuqDaq} doesn't really mean "hello."

At the same time, surely Klingons can express the sentiment behind "welcome
back," and we non-Klingon speakers of the language certainly do come up
with ways to express these social niceties. Think of {qavan/Savan}!

I'm not sure what a direct translation for "welcome back" would be, since
we lack straightforward vocabulary for "welcome" or "return (noun)". How
about {qavanqa'} "I salute you again" or {bIchegh vaj vIQuch} "You return,
so I am happy."

'arHa