[Tlhingan-hol] Qun qa'

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Nov 17 11:40:14 PST 2015

On 11/17/2015 2:15 PM, Alan Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 1:41 PM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>> ... You couldn't add it after the verb, either,
>> because {wI'el je maH'e'} that would mean something like "*WE* enter it in
>> addition to some other thing we did."
>
> Uh, no. {je} is a noun conjunction, not an adverbial. What TKD
> actually says (in section 5.3. Conjunctions) is this:
>
>> The noun conjunction {je} has an additional function: when it
>> follows a verb, it means "also, too".
>>    {qaleghpu' je} "I also saw you, I saw you too"
>> As in English, the meaning of such sentences is ambiguous:
>> "I and others saw you" or "I saw you and others." The exact
>> meaning is determined by context.
>
> What it is *not* said to mean is "I saw (and did something else to) you."

Huh. I'd never quite noticed that.

Anyway, there is at least one example where it seems to act adverbially:

ghop luQan tajHommey. pe'laH je.
part of "providing both a hand guard and another set of cutting edges"
lit: "Secondary blades protect the hand. They can also cut."
(Skybox SP2)

http://trimboli.name