[Tlhingan-hol] nuqDaq ghaH 'arHa'e'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 17 10:31:44 PST 2015

I could only find this example from the paq’batlh:

  ghaH rI' 'ej quvmoH qanra' qamchIy qup'a'
  He is welcomed by Kahnrah, patriarch of Qam-Chee. (PB)

Literally:  “Kahnrah, patriarch of Qam-Chee, hails (him) and honors him.”

So somewhat clumsily:

  qarI’qa’ ‘ej qaquvmoHqa’.
  I hail and honor you again.
  (“I hail you again and I honor you again.”)

{van} “salute” might also work, but it’s used in the sense of “bow before” and “say goodbye” in the paq’batlh -- the latter possibly because of the homonym {van} “end (an event”.  Okrand/Maltz comments:

(HQ 12.2:8)  Maltz said he wasn't sure whether {van} “end” and {van} “salute” were really the same word, but he found it interesting that Klingons end things by saluting them.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: Karen Alessio [mailto:karenalessio at gmail.com]

welcome back! :)
(by the way, is there any way to express that "welcome back" sentiment in klingon? )