[Tlhingan-hol] nuqDaq ghaH 'arHa'e'?

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 06:52:14 PST 2015

You’ve got several replies, but none of them seem to answer your question.

In The Klingon Dictionary (TKD), the definition is “break (rules)”. That’s it. “Infringe” is not part of the definition. I can’t find any secondary source that includes the word “infringe”. Maybe there’s a canon translation that includes it, but if there is, you can’t cite it because you don’t keep track of the sources of your words.

This is why it is important, if you are making your own dictionary, to mark the sources of your definitions, and to avoid corrupting your definitions with every word that anybody suggests might be an acceptable synonym that they think should go in the definition "in order to assist in looking up words”.

If you want to add words to help you look up the Klingon word, then create a second field in your database for “definitions I want to add to help me find this word” so you don’t find yourself five years from now arguing that you don’t know the source, but you are sure it’s canon, straight from Okrand’s pen or mouth or keyboard.

When I started my dictionary, I happened to be reading about the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), and looking at it a lot, and recognized that sources are important. I called mine the Annotated Klingon Dictionary (AKD), and used up at least five of my 15 seconds of fame when Marc Okrand looked at a copy of AKD at an early qep’a’ and asked if he could have it because at the time HIS word list consisted of a pile of scraps of paper.

I’m sure he’s got something much better now, but the episode solidified the tendency I already had to stress the importance of sources. Don’t put anything in your dictionary that isn’t cited canon, unless you note so, because you’ll be using your dictionary for years, and you will forget which entries came from where, unless that’s part of the data you collect with each word.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv