[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: plural in nationalities

Elizabeth Lawrence elizabeth.lawrence08 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 11:35:47 PST 2015

I think that qunnoQ was asking about insulting people by calling them
"Ferengi dogs."  In that case, if he is using the construction <<verengan
Ha'DIbaH>>, Ha'DIbaH is the descriptor.

This is somewhat idiomatic, so I am not certain that it makes sense as a
Klingon insult.  Not all cultures consider animals inferior/insulting in
this way.  However, I would not use a plural at all (they are always
optional as 'arHa' pointed out).  Instead, I would say it as a complete
sentence.

verengan Ha'DIbaH SoH!
You are a Ferengi dog!

verengan Ha'DIbaH tlhIH!
You (plural) are Ferengi dogs!

This uses the pronoun to specify the plural, and makes it clear that it is
an insult, rather than a description of Ferengi animals.

For the first set of questions, I would personally translate it thus:

vulqangan loD - the Vulcan man

vulqanganpu' - the Vulcans (a group of vulcans)

Hoch vulqanganpu' - the Vulcan people (all the vulcans)

I hope this helps,
be''etlh