[Tlhingan-hol] rup

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 07:50:19 PST 2015

When Okrand tells us that Klingon gender is determined by the ability to use language, I don’t think this is code words for “has a soul”. I take him at his word. As a class of nouns, is this an example of a being capable of using language? If someone speaks of {targhpu’wIj}, I probably would not be able to stop myself from responding, {toH, pIj boja'chuq’a' targhmeylIj SoH je? boja’chuqtaHvIS nuq bop jatlhtaHghachraj?}

Data is an interesting example. I think that anyone who spent time with him would recognize what most people recognize about him. He’s not just an anthropomorphic device. He has achieved a status, particularly in terms of use of language, that crosses a threshold beyond that of the class of nouns we refer to as computers.

For most computers, language is an interface to a command set and replies to those commands. Data asks questions without being prompted to do so. Data discusses things. He initiates conversations. Even the Enterprise computer does not process language on the same level that Data does. I’d use {ghaH} and not {‘oH} for Data. I’d use {‘oH} and not {ghaH} for the Enterprise computer.

Telepathic aliens are another interesting case. If they were as the telepaths Star Trek has always shown us, they have been able to speak AND communicate via telepathy. If they communicated with telepathy, but could not read, write, speak, or hear communicative sounds, then I’m not sure what a Klingon would think about their gender.

Most warlike cultures kill anything they don’t understand, so they’d probably kill the aliens before they had to talk about them much, but that hardly answers your question.

I simply don’t know.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv