[Tlhingan-hol] rup

qunnoQ HoD mihkoun at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 07:12:08 PST 2015

> Which class does Data belong too?

ok,this is *the* question ! I don't see a way,one could objectively decide.
It depends on the individual person's views about who is human,and who
isn't. My personal choice in sorting this out,would be as follows :

- if someone has a soul then use {-pu'}
- if something doesn't have a soul then use {-mey}

..of course this is just my personal opinion,as an orthodox christian who
believes in life after death,the human soul etc etc. If we excluded the
religious criteria though,then yes I believe that the way to go is who can
speak,and who can't.

Think of this though.. Can a dog speak ? One would say no.. (I would say no
too). But when your dog barks to alert you that something is wrong,then who
can really say,that it isn't actually "speaking" ? But then you will ask me
"why don't you accept that dogs have a soul too ?"
Anyway,this gets way too complicated and would be a very nice topic to
discuss in a mailing list concerning religion/spirituality etc..

What is though a nice topic of discussion in this list is the following :

A Klingon vessel encounters aliens who DON'T speak. They DON'T use words.
They telepathically feel each others wishes/intentions etc. Or they use
colors to communicate. What would Klingons use ? {-pu'} or {-mey} ?

..for what is worth (if i understand how this phrase is to be used in
english) I always considered Data a machine. However I was pissed and
sad,to see that eventually it was destroyed.

cpt qunnoQ