[Tlhingan-hol] Concerning the purpose clauses

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 04:24:13 PST 2015

qunnoQ HoD:
> you took away my shoes in order to delay me
> chomImmeH waqmeywIj Dange’

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv:
> If someone has their issues of HolQeD handy, I have a note in my dictionary
> about volume 8, number 4, page 11 relating to the verb {mIm}. I apparently
> interpreted that to mean the verb did not take an object. Until I can read
> that passage, however, I can’t see a reason to correct this one.

It's an excerpt of the portion of the script for Star Trek V. The
relevant sentence (with {mIm}) is:
"Captain Klaa, proceed to Nimbus III. A criminal has succeeded in
taking hostages. One hostage is a Klingon diplomat. One is a Terran.
One is a Romulan. Do not delay. Alter your course now. Defend the
Klingon race with honor. Success."
{tlha'a' HoD, nImbuS wej yIghoS. vubpu' jonta' HeSwI'. wa' vub ghaH
tlhIngan gharwI''e'.  wa' ghaH tera'ngan'e'. mImQo'. DaH Heraj yIchoH.
batlh tlhIngan Segh yIHub. Qapla'.}

It actually looks like something got dropped in the Klingon: there is
a missing line about the Romulan just before {mImQo'}.

I'm not sure what one can infer about {mIm} from this, though. It has
no prefix (clipped?), so its object (or lack thereof) isn't entirely
clear.