[Tlhingan-hol] qa'vam?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 10 07:23:08 PST 2015

{qa'vam}       Genesis (planet) (GN):

  qa'vam De' vIje' rIntaH
  I have purchased the Genesis Data. ST3
  qa'vam yuQ Quv DaghojmeH Duyma'vaD yIjatlh.
  [To learn the Genesis Planet's coordinates, speak to our agent.] (ST3 DVD case)

{qa'vam jan}    the  Genesis Device (n):
  qa'vam jan SeH DIvI'.
  [The Federation controls the Genesis Device.] (ST3 DVD case)

 qa'vam jan yISuq.
  [Acquire the Genesis Device!] (ST3 DVD case)

Okrand expanded on {qa’vam} back in March:

   The Big Bang - meaning the start of the universe - is, as you
   once hypothesized, {qa'vam}, the word used by Klingons for the
   Genesis device. {qa'vam} is perhaps best defined as "origin of
   everything" or "start of it all" or the like. Maltz said you
   could say {qa'vam nger} "Big Bang Theory," but he thought that
   was weird - the start of it all isn't a theory, he said - it's
   just the start of it all. If one thinks the start of it all was
   a big explosion and that's a theory, then {qa'vam nger} could
   mean "the theory of how everything began," but the Klingon phrase
   doesn't contain the notion of explosion. For the TV Show – whether
   to translate it or use the English - that's up to you.
    (MO to De'vID, 3/2015 [FOTSN/FFN])