[Tlhingan-hol] qa'vam?

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 9 21:02:25 PST 2015

ghItlhpu' naHQun, jatlh:
> How would y'all use {qa'vam}?> Can I use it as a time stamp?

Ooo. That's a fascinating question. My first instinct says no, but then it makes me think of those times where I've seen {bI'reS} used as a time stamp roughly equivalent to "at first", and though we have no canon for it, I do like that usage. Similarly, if {qa'vam} appears in the right place syntactically, I guess there's no reason it couldn't be interpreted as "in the beginning" (in the biblical sense) or "at the birth of the universe". I don't know how many contexts you could use it in - it's a pretty narrow meaning - but by the same token, {qaStaHvIS qa'vam} doesn't sound quite right to me either.

I suppose it depends how long you want to draw your bow. It's questionable but interesting.

QeS 'utlh