[Tlhingan-hol] Concerning the purpose clauses

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:03:58 PST 2015

This is complex, poetic, and lacks punctuation. Given that, I have to see if it looks like it could be interpreted following the rules of grammar that have been presented to us, and I see a way to interpret it with the two {-meH} clauses preceding the main verb {vup}:

"May this river purify this very-ashamed heart. May qotar pity his spirit in order that molor may … "

Okay, there’s a verb {yay’} that doesn’t seem appropriate here, so I’m not suspecting a misspelling by omitting the glottal stop, and there’s a noun {yay}, which can’t take a verb suffix {-meH}, so SOMEBODY either made a mistake here, or there’s canon vocabulary I haven’t found yet.

Anyway, to continue the translation, I’ll restart that second sentence:

"May qotar pity his spirit in order that molor may [problem verb] that if one is disloyal; thus one is silly, and in order that molor may act honorably. He was weak, but this Klingon has died honorably.”

It’s ugly the way they’ve used {vaj} as if it were a conjunction, but if I put a period in front of it, like I usually can, the {‘e’} stops making sense, unless it refers to multiple sentences. In conversation, sometimes it does, like one person says a bunch of things and the other says, {‘e’ vIlaj}, meaning “I accept all that you have said.”

Still, this is not Klingon spoken in a conversational manner. It’s poetic. Grammatical rules (and apparently some vocabulary) get looser in poems. This is why I don’t write Klingon poetry. tlhonDu’ ghaj ghIchwIj. tlhonmey Hutlh.

pItlh
lojmIt tI'wI'nuv