[Tlhingan-hol] How many grammarians ?

Rohan Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 8 20:42:36 PST 2015

ghItlhpu' be''etlh, jatlh:
> Who would be considered reasonable candidates?  The list of speakers
would consider to be at a strong intermediate level (from interactions
> at qep'a', not particularly from the list) would be qurgh, 'arHa',
janSIy,
> and me, and maybe neb'a'.

'Iv neb'a''e'? pongvetlh vIghovbe'.

taH:
> Is that the level of proficiency that
 would be appropriate?

I feel a little uncomfortable judging proficiency levels of active speakers in a public forum, so I'll respond to you off-list on this.

taH:
> I arrived on the list about
when tereS was appointed BG, so I haven't
> really seen the role in
action, given the paucity of beginners at the time,
> and, except for
janSIy, I think the others I mentioned arrived on scene
> later than I
did, so I don't know if people understand if it would be
> suitable for
them to volunteer, or what exactly they would be
> volunteering for.

An unfortunate consequence of not having a BG for so long. Part of the BG's role was to conduct a handover of sorts to their successor. When I went through, this involved the BG-elect writing responses to a couple of beginners' posts and sending them first to the incumbent BG off-list, so that the incumbent BG could look at them and give the BG-elect advice as to how well they explained their corrections and so forth, but more importantly, advice as to how their tone would come across to a beginning learner. I really don't have the spoons at the moment to take on the BG role myself, but would certainly be happy to play that mentoring role.

QeS 'utlh