[Tlhingan-hol] roj

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 12:10:45 PST 2015

Why redundantly use the noun {roj} as the direct object of the verb {roj}? You’ve already given a complete idea with the verb? Why bother using the noun {Hegh} as the direct object of the verb {Hegh}. The verb already tells us all we need to know without a direct object. Why are you so fixated on using the noun form of every verb as the direct object of that verb? Do you really think this is why Okrand made these redundant forms of the words? Do you just LIKE using extra words in a sentence? What makes this peculiarly interesting to you while so many are telling you that it simply sounds strange?

I assure you that the use of the noun {Hegh} is much more rare than that of the verb in Klingon. The verb is more useful. When the verb is {Hegh}, we know what happens to the subject. We don’t need a direct object to tell us that.

We could as easily toss in pronouns redundant to the prefix and while it wouldn’t be grammatically wrong, it would just sound weird.

SoH qaja’ jIH. qech vIQIj. SoHvaD ‘oH vIQIj jIH.

You don’t have to do this for very long in conversation with a Klingon before he punches you for wasting his time. The language is not that fond of unnecessary redundancy.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Door Repair Guy, Retired Honorably