[Tlhingan-hol] 'aDDu'

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sun Nov 8 05:07:28 PST 2015

Am 08.11.2015 um 04:19 schrieb lojmIt tI'wI' nuv 'utlh:
> Given that we were earlier given the word {‘aD}
 > meaning “vein” and more recently, we’re told that
 > {paw’aD} is “vein” and {mej’aD} is “artery”, does
 > this suggest that {‘aD} more accurately is a generic

It seems like my message has not come trough when I sent it to the list.
(I am missing several messages which went to the list lately) Here is
the text again:

--------------------
"vein" is {'aD}. In general usage, this means either a vein or an
artery, so a better translation might be "blood vessel." In medical
usage, however, doctors and so on make a distinction between {mej'aD}
"artery" and {paw'aD} "vein." Maltz said that he thought that earlier
these were {mejmeH 'aD} and {pawmeH 'aD}, but over time they were shortened.
qepHom 2015, p. 14

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh