[Tlhingan-hol] tlhlIngan veS qeS

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 02:03:08 PST 2015

On 6 November 2015 at 08:33, qunnoQ HoD <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> qen amazonDaq,tlhIngan veS qeS,paq vIlegh. tlhIngan Hol ghItlhlu'chugh HIja'

paq DIvI' Hol pong 'oH nuq'e'?

Also, note that "tell me if..." doesn't quite work that way in
Klingon. In English, "if" is sometimes substituted for "whether". But
in Klingon, {-chugh} is truly a condition. Another way to think about
this is to put the "if" clause first mentally: "If the book is written
in Klingon, report to me". This doesn't quite mean the same thing as
"report to me if (i.e., whether) the book is written in Klingon".

That is, a Klingon logician, told {tlhIngan Hol lo'chugh paq, HIja'},
would report something if the book uses Klingon, but may not
necessarily report anything if it doesn't.

You might be better off asking a question with {-'a'}: {tlhIngan Hol
ngaS'a' paqvam?}, {tlhIngan Hol paq 'oH'a'?}, etc. Or you can use a
command: {Hol'e' lo'bogh paq yIngu'!}, etc.