[Tlhingan-hol] AFAIK never used in a sentence

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Thu Nov 5 07:30:43 PST 2015

> i would like to ask,what is the practical significance of the

> fact that a word may have been never used in sentence ;

> does this make it less "canon" ?

Not less canonical, but it can be less clear how the word should be used.

 For example, the word {SIv} means "wonder" (verb), but it can be difficult to guess what the subject and object should be. How do you say "I wonder if she is there." ?

Fortunately, we have a canonical example to go by:

{tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' vISIv.}

= "I wonder if you speak Klingon."

So, we know of at least one way in which the word SIv can be used. There may be other ways, too, but there is one that we know for sure. We can extrapolate from this to create a new sentence: {DaH pa' ghaHtaH 'e' vISIv.}

 On the other hand, the word {HuS} ("hang") has never been used in a sentence, so we don't know if it means "be hanging" or "hang something". For example, if I want to say "I hung a sword  on the wall.", would I say *tlhoy'Daq 'etlh vIHuSmoH.* or *tlhoy'Daq 'etlh vIHuS.* ?

A lot of people (myself included) think that the first option is the correct one (using HuSmoH), but we won't know for sure until Marc Okrand has used it in a sentence.