[Tlhingan-hol] New word from MO: {jIr} (excl) "Big deal!"

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Wed Nov 4 13:49:37 PST 2015

Am 04.11.2015 um 22:00 schrieb SuStel:
> On 11/4/2015 3:35 PM, Lieven wrote:
> So I see that the KLI's new words list has "Some non-Klingons
> occasionally add a gesture of pointing at the ceiling and moving one's
> hand in a circular motion." Saying "non-Klingons" suggests that Klingons
> DON'T do it. Do we know that?

Of course we do not know what Klingons do. But that line is not part of
the definition Okrand gave us. It's confusing, people may believe they
have to do that movement. Note that "some non-klingons" seems to refer
to americans. Most people on the world don't even know that gesture.
zrajm shouldn't even have it mentioned.

Look back to what he wrote in his mail:

------------
For my dictionary I wrote:

     {jIr} (excl) "Whoop-dee-doo!, La-dee-dah!, Who cares?!, Big deal!"
     /Marc Okrand in conversation (qepHom 14, October 31, 2015)
------------

This is the only thing that was supposed to be used in any kind of
dictionary or words list. I know I'm nitpicking, but we sometimes need
to be doing so to keep a clean and true list of words. (remember the
light/lamp/device confusion we had recently?)

Okrand's words were really something like "ah, no, forget about that,
don't write that down. you don't need to do that move. Saying jIr is
enough."

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh