[Tlhingan-hol] Piraha

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Nov 2 14:22:32 PST 2015

On 11/2/2015 10:47 AM, Lieven wrote:
> I'm not sure what the initial question was, but these examples do not
> show a real answer, in my opinion. All of the multiple adverbials are
> actually time stamps plus adverb, so not really "TWO" adverbs.

Klingon doesn't have adverbs; it has {chuvmey}, a subset of which are
"adverbials." That is, they are the set of {chuvmey} that act
adverbially. Some adverbial {chuvmey} act as time stamps.

TKD makes it quite clear that all of those {paq'batlh} examples employ
two adverbials.

> I don't see two adverbials here, unless you see vaj as one, which I see
> more as a conjunction:

{vaj} is also explicitly labeled as an adverbial, not a conjunction.

The question has always been whether Klingon syntax allows you to add
two or more adverbials to a verb, regardless of the semantics of those
adverbials. {paq'batlh} answers that with a resounding yes.

http://www.trimboli.name/