[Tlhingan-hol] Piraha

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Nov 2 14:10:29 PST 2015

On 11/2/2015 8:26 AM, Will Martin wrote:
> In this case, I think it’s a matter of style and either way is
> acceptable. {‘IHbogh tlhIngan HoS} is my preferred construction, being
> more efficient, and placing both descriptors closer to the noun they
> describe. But I fully accept both HoSbogh tlhIngan ‘ej ‘IHbogh} or
> {HoSbogh ‘IHbogh je tlhIngan}. In this case, the {je} is functioning as
> saying “also” to the verb of the relative clause, rather than ending a
> list of nouns.

I don't think your last example is grammatical; its only precedent is
from the line of a song, {yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'}, which we tend to
believe is creative license rather than proper grammar.

Verbs are conjoined by {'ej}; nouns are conjoined by {je}; an adverbial
{je} follows a verb that is positioned grammatically whether the {je} is
there or not. I don't see how you can interpret {HoSbogh 'IHbogh je
tlhIngan} grammatically.

> “the Klingon who is strong and also powerful.” Your
> preference is more like “The Klingon who is strong and who is powerful”.

I see {HoSbogh tlhIngan 'IH} and {'IHbogh tlhIngan HoS} as emphasizing
different things, while {HoSbogh tlhIngan 'ej 'IHbogh} means exactly the
same thing as {'IHbogh tlhIngan 'ej HoSbogh}.

http://www.trimboli.name/