[Tlhingan-hol] yu' ghojchoHwI

lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Tue May 5 07:49:02 PDT 2015

Your first question needs work, though your attempt is admirable. Know that you cannot use the Klingon word {nuq} as if it were the English word “which”. In English, sometimes we say “What ice cream flavor do you want?” when we really mean “Which ice cream flavor do you want?”, but the Klingon word {nuq} can never be used this way.

{nuq} only means “what?” It replaces a noun in a statement to turn it into a question. The answer is the same statement with {nuq} replaced by the noun. The English word “which” is an adjective, not a noun.

So, since it is impossible, in Klingon, to ask the question “Which ice cream flavor do you want?”, you must instead turn the question into a command: “Choose your flavor!” or “Identify the ice cream that you want!”

I’m also a little confused by {mu’mey QoQ}. As stated, it means “music of the words” or “words’ music”.

So, with two points of confusion, I don’t feel like I can accurately guess what you were trying to say. Give it another go.

Your second question appears to have a word order issue, and a question issue. There’s a question mark at the end, but there’s no grammatical indication of a question in the sentence itself. In English, we can do this with inflection, like “You don’t like the blue one?” Some feel that you can do this in English, too, but that’s not universally proven to be true; no canon suggests it.

As for the word order, as is, you are saying, “Example: Nirvana has a guitar is good.” This is a common early learning error. Reverse the word order to {leSpal QaQ} and you say, “Example: Nirvana has a good guitar.”

Your final question is fine, if you omit the pronoun {‘e’} at the end. “Can he endure it?” The {‘e’} at the end is not meaningful or grammatical.

I hope this helps. Don’t be discouraged by errors. This is how you learn. The meek never make mistakes, and they never learn. Or, as Edison put it, “If you can’t make mistakes, you can’t make anything.”

My own personal motto is, “To err where no man has erred before!”

Okay, I’ll admit it. I just made that up.

But I like it.

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Retired Door Repair Guy