[Tlhingan-hol] qepHom 2015 with Marc Okrand

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Fri Mar 27 11:38:25 PDT 2015

Am 27.03.2015 um 18:42 schrieb Robyn Stewart:
> At one point he pronounced something oddly, I think it was pronouncing the letter 'It as 'Iy, and I looked up and glared at him.

I remember the situation very well, and I'll explain it here especially
for lurking beginners: Many germans have difficulties to pronounce {I}
as it should be, most would say {SuvwI'} as {SuvwIy}, or "shoof-wee".
It's hard to explain {I}. Even when you know it's the same sound as in
"fit" or "tip", it's hard to do at the end of a word.

Only few months ago, I discovered a much better way to explain in
German, because the Klingon {I} is a lot closer to the [e] than [i]
sound, as in french "thé" or German "See" or "Kaffee".

I thinks there is no english equivalent, so many english speakers would
like to object here. But I have checked back with several linguists,
including Okrand.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh