[Tlhingan-hol] new vocabulary: theatres and auditoriums, Genesis and The Big Bang Theory

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Thu Mar 19 05:50:40 PDT 2015

Am 17.03.2015 um 18:06 schrieb MorphemeAddict:
> Is there any difference in stress or accentuation or intonation in
> Klingon between compounds and simple phrases of the same words,
> comparable to the difference between English "blackbird" vs. "black bird"?

We do not know much about stress in Klingon at all, but I think I would
stress noun-noun constructions different than compound nouns.

It's hard to find examples quickly. I think in two syllable words, each
syllable may be stressed equally (toDSaH, tlharghDuj, veqlargh), also
with compund nouns (puchpa', toDDuj, SuyDuj).

When used as a noun-noun construction, I "may" stress it differently,
for instance, "I want the merchant's ship" {Suy DUJ vIneH} instead of "I
want the merchant ship."  There can be a slight difference in meaning
here, which can be shown by adding an extra space.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka Quvar valer 'utlh