[Tlhingan-hol] Windows 8 and pIqaD fonts- solution to problem

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Mar 11 06:43:23 PDT 2015

On 3/11/2015 9:24 AM, SuStel wrote:
> On 3/11/2015 5:25 AM, De'vID wrote:
>> On 11 March 2015 at 04:53, Robyn Stewart <robyn at flyingstart.ca> wrote:
>>> When I installed Windows 8, [...]
>>> O frabjous day! jIQuch.  (I can read that as jIQuchqu’, but it’s
>>> probably gibberish to others – sorry)
>>
>> Apparently, Windows 10 supports pIqaD natively. I've been told this,
>> though I haven't confirmed it myself. However, I saw this tweet
>> earlier:
>> https://twitter.com/shanselman/status/572575416222818305/photo/1
>>

> He uses the pIqaD font found here:
> <http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnste/archive/2013/05/20/piqad-font-for-bing-s-klingon-translator.aspx>,
> which uses Everson's Unicode code points. Interestingly, it includes a
> web font. Without a corresponding input method editor, the font is of
> limited use. Has anybody written one?
>
> I've got the latest Windows 10 preview build, but I don't know how he
> got pIqaD to appear in that Command Prompt window. There is no
> localization for Klingon. I suspect this was a developer's joke.
>
> The font creator has more blog posts about Klingon on Windows here:
> <http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnste/archive/tags/klingon/>

You can follow the instructions here
<http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnste/archive/2006/02/17/klingon-in-piqad-windows-vista-custom-locale.aspx>
to install a Klingon locale and keyboard map. The keyboard didn't work
for me in Windows 10, and I'm not seeing the font in console or winrt
programs. However, the Region control panel works fine:
<http://tinyurl.com/ldsnnbv>

http://www.trimboli.name/