[Tlhingan-hol] Child-related vocabulary

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sat Mar 7 09:19:36 PST 2015

When I play with kids in Klingon they can count on having their fingers and toes enumerated, a rousing game of “nuq ‘oH?” and lots of “nuqDaq ‘oH XlIj’e’?” ---- vISampu’! DaSampu’! When they scream I speculate as to culturally appropriate things that might cause the screaming, “qatlh bISaQ, ghu? ghe’’orDaq Duqeng’a’ molor?  nIjoy’taH’a’ romuluSnganpu’? betleH Daghuppu’’a’? burghlIj rorDaq betleH tu’lu’’a’?”

It’s scientifically shown that  speakers instinctively use tone language appropriate to infant learning, so just carry one talking to the kids, and they’ll get that it’s talking. For bodily functions that we lack Klingon words for, but that make up a lot of an infant’s output, you can always describe it: Sub, Hurgh, taS SuD, law’, He’So’, pIw, buy’ yopwaHHom/ghu yopwaH/puch yopwaH (I think those all work, but I might guess that the last were the pull up kind designed for kids to transition to actually using the puch.

I agree that HIvje’ is fine for bottle, as is bal. If there’s any confusion, then say HIvje’lIj.

Maybe one of my lorpu’ will have a child and ask their crazy ‘e’mam to babysit. :-)

- Qov