[Tlhingan-hol] naming things

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Tue Jun 9 12:41:09 PDT 2015

Am 09.06.2015 um 21:19 schrieb Steven Boozer:

> I found some examples of relationships used with names:
>
>    qeylIS loDnI' 'opleS chovan
>    One day, brother Kahless, you will bow before me.  PB

This one is a bit confusing to me, and there are several people who
thing one shouls be carefult with PB, since it's not 100% by Okrand. It
makes me think that the translator used {loDnI'} like a rank, saying
"brother kahless" like "captain kahless".
You can also read it with comma: {qeylIS, loDnI', ...}

>     DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je.
>    The sisters of the House of Duras, Lursa and B'Etor,

This one, on the other hand IS made by okrand completely, and he clearly
says {DuraS be'nI'pu' lurSa' be'etor je} or short {be'nI' lurSa'}
"sister Lursa". This does contradict the PB, but since this comes from
Okrand more "directly", I give it more weight.

>> the book Hamlet =?
>>     ??DaH paq Hamlet vIlaD.
>
> This one is trickier.  "The book Hamlet" or "Hamlet, the book" (as opposed to the play/movie/etc.) is apposition.

 > But "The Book of Hamlet" OTOH could well be a title -
 > e.g. the biblical Book of Matthew or the Eleventh
 > Tome of Klavek (VOY "Barge of the Dead")

Yes, that's what I had in mind. But also any kind. Imagine a situation:
"did you read the book 'Harry Potter'?" - "No, I just read the book 'KGT'."

>     tlhIngan ghobmey paq
>     Klingon Book of Virtues [original title of TKW]

Yes, but here the word 'book' is part of the name. The name is not
{tlhIngan ghobmey}.

BTW, where did you get that title from?

--
Lieven L. Litaer