[Tlhingan-hol] tera' Hovtay'Daq PLUTO HurDaq bIHtaH'a' latlh yuQmey?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jan 21 12:34:03 PST 2015

On 1/21/2015 2:50 PM, lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com wrote:
> The interrogative verb suffix {-‘a’} is always answered by “yes” or
> “no”. You can’t use it for some other kind of question, as several
> have pointed out.

As I pointed out. That's why I didn't use it.

> chay’ Dochmeyvam perlu’? yuQna’ bIH’a'? yuQHom ‘bIH’a’?

While I support the use of rhetorical questions to make a point, I have
never liked the idea of asking rhetorical questions just to set the
stage for difficult-to-translate English grammar. If I answer {HIja'},
what do I mean? Which question am I supposed to answer?

> Likely, we could have gotten the meaning across if we’d simply asked,
> {yuQna’ bIH’a’?}

HIja', yuQna' bIH; nItojbe' mInlIj.

Perhaps this:

Dochvam tIbuv: yuQ pagh yuQHom.