[Tlhingan-hol] mathematics terminology

Bellerophon, modeler bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 09:04:45 PST 2015

On that FB discussion I used the terms {toghmeH mI'} and {juvmeH mI'},
which I doubt are new. I'd expect the former would correspond to counting
numbers (1,2,3...), but they might also be whole numbers (0,1,2...)
depending on the concept of counting: consider {paghDIch mIw}. Seems
unlikely the term could represent integers, since they can be negative.
Also, we have no canon word for negative, just {taH} "be at a negative
angle." lojmIt tI'wI' nuv went into some depth discussing it:
http://diswww.mit.edu/charon.MIT.EDU/ja'chuq/98145

{juvmeH mI'} corresponds to rational numbers. Irrational numbers require
limitless precision, which is impossible for measurement. This would hardly
be a point lost on Klingons, who take precision seriously. Perhaps {mI'
pup} would be a term for real numbers.

Virtually all of mathematics is uncharted ground here. Klingon mathematics
would use the same concepts but might express them much differently because
of the way they were arrived at. Just look at Newton's and Leibniz's
derivative notations, and they were contemporaries living a few hundred
miles apart.
~'eD
--
My modeling blog:          http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/