[Tlhingan-hol] The Klingon Is MUCH Braver ...

lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 06:57:27 PST 2015

I like this suggestion. It doesn't require stretching or reinterpreting existing grammar and it clearly expresses the meaning.

The comparative in Klingon is, I think, a very limited grammatical construction with a specific and simple function. In English, we have variations with a wider range of expressive functionality, so it is natural for us to try to stretch the Klingon grammar to get that same range of expressivity. I suspect we show greater skill level with the language when we reach for those ends using different grammatical tools, just as you have done.

If what you wish to express doesn't fit the Klingon comparative, then don't use the Klingon comparative. As you've shown clearly, there are alternative grammatical constructions that do the job better.

Maybe someday, Okrand will expand on the comparative in a way that gives it a wider range of expressivity. I think that was part of the goal behind allowing other contrasting adjectives than {law'} and {puS}, though to be honest, the use of other adjectives here has always seemed more poetic than anything else, and I'm not that much of a poet, so it has not been that useful to me, though maybe this is a tool that would work here?

tlhIngan yoH pup verengan yoH QIv.

tlhIngan yoH watlh verengan yoH qal.

tlhIngan yoH qar verengan yoH ngeb.

tlhIngan yoH quv verengan yoH HoQ.

Hmm. This is the first time I can remember that I've even tried these non-{law/puS} comparatives, because I thought of them as poetic and I don't think of myself as a poet. Perhaps careful use of this option could give you what you seek?

lojmIt tI’wI’ nuv ‘utlh
Retired Door Repair Guy