[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jaw

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 07:34:22 PST 2015

It just occurred to me that "jaw" might be another pun, or a nice
coincidence.

In Thai and several other Tai-Kadai languages such as Shan, the word for
lord is indeed "jao", pronounced just like the Klingon word (well, almost):
<เจ้า> [tɕâːw] vs. <jaw> [dʒɑw].
The beginning consonant in Thai sounds pretty similar to the Klingon {j},
although it's voiceless.

I wonder if it was intentional (as with <lung> being identical in
pronunciation to the Mandarin Chinese word for dragon), or if it's a
coincidence...

Greetings from {bangqoq} (or rather: {qungtep maHa'naqon}),
- André