[Tlhingan-hol] Question words used not in questions

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Dec 30 06:43:43 PST 2015

On 12/30/2015 4:24 AM, Lieven wrote:
> Am 30.12.2015 um 08:13 schrieb John R. Harness:
>> Great question. The basic answer is no, you shouldn't phrase things that
>> way in Klingon.
>
> Sometimes you still can use those words, but say it in two sentences:
>
> Do not say {qatlh bIghung 'e' vISov vIneH} but say {vay' vISov vIneH:
> qatlh bIghung?}
>
> "I want to see how a ship is built":
> chay' Duj chenmoHlu'? mIwvam vIyaj vIneH.
>
> There are many simple ways to avoid QAO.

I find asking a rhetorical question so you can refer to it with another
sentence to be rather un-Klingon. It also just seems to be substituting
nouns for {'e'}.

Best to go with 'arHa's (and Okrand's!) advice and rephrase it without
the original question.

He didn't tell me how he painted the cat.

    vIghro' nguvmoHmeH mIwDaj QIjbe'
    he does not explain his cat-dyeing process

She didn't tell me why she tickled my dog.

    targhwIj qotlhmeH meqDaj QIjbe'
    she doesn't explain her targ-ticking reason

http://trimboli.name