[Tlhingan-hol] 19 new words to create

Jesse Manoogian boyfromtheabyss at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 22:44:30 PST 2015

>>Thanks for revealing how you came to think ?beH meant ?less. That had me confused for a while.  Klingon suffixes are very specialized: they can only be added to the appropriate type of word in the appropriate order, or else they don?t mean what you think they  mean.

A further clarification on how I came to think -beH meant -less. I looked through the dictionary for English -less words and saw "lo'aH - v - be valuable" and "lo'laHbe' - v - be worthless". -be' entered my mind as a suffix for -less. Then I saw "yivbeH" and misremembered -be' as -beH. (Although IIRC "be'" can also mean female -- "be'Hom" is the word for girl, for instance.)

>>Smushing two verbs or a noun and a verb (like DIrlaS) together to make a new word isn?t a thing. When you see what looks like that in the dictionary, it?s based on older roots or no?Hol.

Oh, OK.
>>In context SuD is usually understood as blonde.
Looks as if I hit the nail on the head with this one! Perhaps Marc Okrand should declare this usage official so it can get into the next edition of the Klingon dictionary.
>>I put on a skit at the last qep?a? of <jIboy SuD, wej mIl?oD je>. See if you can untangle that.

 Lessee . . . "cute blonde one/Blondie, also a charming teddy bear"?

>>Aside from, ?we can already say that, just think about it?, another reason new speaker posts of the form, ?Klingon lacks this list of words? are dumped on is that the fun part of the hobby is using the existing grammar and vocabulary to say what has to be said. Winning is doing that. Asking for a new word is surrendering.
>>
 >>not jegh tlhIngan. = A Klingon never surrenders.
Thanks for this insight. I'm not too into Klingon culture, I'm just a conlang aficionado. I like to watch lexica grow. (The ultimate in conlang lexica is Classical Yiklamu, with over 91,000 words.) I've watched the lexicon of Klingon grow over the past few years, to over 3,000 words. Here's to hoping someday it reaches 4,000.